History

Old Oaks Country Club was organized in 1925 as an offshoot of the Progress City Club in Manhattan. Thereafter, it was successively known as Progress Country Club, Purchase Country Club, Pine Ridge Country Club, and again as the Purchase Country Club. In 1936, Oak Ridge Country Club in Tuckahoe, NY merged into the Purchase Country Club under the present name of Old Oaks Country Club.

The Old Oaks clubhouse was designed by the firm of Wood and Palmer and was built as a country residence for Trenor Luther Park (1861-1907) who worked and lived in New York City. Construction began in 1890 and it took three years to complete the main house, gate houses, and the stables. The estate was known as Hill Crest. Beatrix Cadwalader Jones Farrand, the designer of the Jacqueline Kennedy and West Rose Gardens at the White House in Washington, D.C., was commissioned to design the grounds.

In 1906, Park sold the estate which occupied the property on the west side of Purchase Street to William A. Read whose namesake lived on in the investment banking firm of Dillon Read, & Co. Read acquired the property across Purchase Street in 1910 where all but Old Oaks’ first and eighteenth holes are now located and expanded the clubhouse by replacing the East Entrance pictured below with the East Porch, living room, additional bedrooms, and the porte coacher. Beatrix Farrand returned to Hill Crest to create much of what is seen today including the entrance drive and the formal gardens and arbors. Read passed away in 1916, but his family lived in the house until 1925 when the estate was sold to the Progress Country Club.

The noted golf architect, A. W. Tillinghast was hired in 1925 to design and build a nine-hole and eighteen-hole golf courses for the Progress Country Club. The challenging eighteen-hole East Course, which opened in 1927, remains essentially as designed by Tillinghast and has hosted the sectional qualifying rounds for the United States Open on alternate years since 1963. The West Course, used until 1968, no longer exists as half the course was required for construction of Interstate 684.