Course History

Old Oaks 18-hole course was originally designed by A.W. Tillinghast in 1925, and then completed in 1927 by Charles Alison (with partner Harry Colt), who proceeded to build the layout to Tillinghast’s specs and routing. This original design characteristic is one of the reasons the golf course today is so special. There are not many places in the entire world that can say they were constructed by two of the top classic design firms of all time. Over the years, the golf facility has undergone many upgrades, including a 2001 renovation by Ken Dye, which added length and deepened bunkers. A state of the art irrigation system was installed in 2010, and a new maintenance building was constructed in 2012.

In 2016, the club began a massive renovation project by world-renowned architect Rees Jones. Known as the “Open Doctor” for his tweaking of U.S. Open courses for the USGA, Rees set out a plan to elevate the already world class Old Oaks golf course. He began by reconstructing every bunker on the course, and then added multiple tee boxes so the golf course can be better enjoyed by our female golfers and senior players. Jones then found an additional 200 + yards of length from the back tees, stretching the course to over 6,900 yards while maintaining a par of 70. Every golfer, from beginner to professional, enjoys Rees’s course improvements.

The next step for Jones was a complete reconstruction of our practice range, adding 50% more tee space and cleaner looking targets. A construction of a 3-acre short game area has also been completed, elevating already exceptional practice facilities to an even higher level. With its uncompromising commitment to excellence, Old Oaks is undoubtedly one of the top golf facilities in the country. We are committed to constantly protecting and enhancing its most important asset, the golf course, while maintaining the footprint of its original architects, A.W. Tillinghast, Charles Alison, and Henry Colt.